Sprott Shaw Community College Announces ‘Math for Trades’ Course
Sprott Shaw College is introducing Math for Trades, approved by the Private Colleges Training Agency of BC. The 20 hour math course will help students build a foundation of math skills related to various trade applications.
Course topics include: Algebra skills, measurement and calculation problems, using drawings, ratios and rates, money math and percentages, problem solving skills, budgeting and accounting, as well as data analysis.
Students are encouraged to take this course prior to entering Level 1 or 2 of the Construction Electrician programs or as a math refresher course for continued studies.
Math for Trades is a basic math refresher course based on the essential numeracy skills required to be a Construction Electrician (NOC 7241). This math course will assist learners in building a foundation of math skills required and related to various trade applications.
- Trades Math Workbook; by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada; ISBN: 978-1-1001-4722-2 (ordered free of charge from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada)
- Math Basics-Student Workbook ordered through Rebel
TO TEACH TO GUIDE TO LEARN
Upon completion of this course, the learner will:
- Solve measurement and calculation problems using metric and imperial units of measurement.
- Apply algebra skills through manipulation of and application of formulas related to measurement
- Apply skills used for money math calculations including percent.
- Apply problem solving skills for scheduling, budgeting and accounting.
- Analyze and compare numerical data.
Classes are scheduled 4 consecutive Saturdays starting November 30, 2013, from 8:30am to 1:30pm, at Sprott Shaw Port Coquitlam campus 200-1405 Broadway Street, Port Coquitlam, B.C. V3C 6L6.
For more information, please contact Dilys Hunter Bowes, Career Trades Advisor at Sprott Shaw College, 1-604-552-9711 ext. 333