You asked and we listened! We’re offering two sessions of our new special presentation on PST Issues for Oil and Gas Contractors in Fort St John next month! The first session takes place April 9 from 4 to 6:30 p.m., and then the next morning from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
This workshop was developed in partnership with the BC Ministry of Finance specifically for oil and gas contractors, and discusses the real property and real property contracts involved in the oil and gas industry.
Registration is free for ICBA members! Register now at www.icba.ca/courses.
And don’t miss our two breakfast sessions with CBC and National Post commentator Rex Murphy. The first will be in Prince George on May 7, and then on May 8 in Victoria. You can register for these sessions at www.icba.ca/rex-in-pgand www.icba.ca/rex-in-victoria.
What are you doing April 9 and 10? You should register for our Project Planning and Cost Control workshop in Burnaby!
The course is designed to provide owners, managers, estimators, and field personnel with a general knowledge of the process of planning and controlling a project from beginning to end utilizing ways and means of monitoring, saving and controlling costs. Here’s what’s covered:
- Understanding the impact and methodology of construction cost control.
- Ways and means of minimizing and controlling costs on site.
- Project cost forecasting and accounting functions on site.
- Project planning and its purpose and effect on project cost control.
- How to communicate & assist management re: cost methods and control.
- Gain additional insight into the process of work and cost analysis.
- Cost reporting systems – new technology in monitoring costs and reports.
- Understanding the effect improper field reporting has on cost control. Maintaining and managing documents, material, tools and equipment.
- Understanding the Contract process from bidding to project close-out.
- Review of 100 companies and their methods in controlling & saving costs.
You’ll also earn 3 Gold Seal Credits and 16 Group A and 16 Group B CPD Points from BC Housing. You can register for this or any of our other upcoming courses at www.icba.ca/courses.
Interested in booking a private session of any of our training courses? Email our training team at email@example.com and they will handle all of the logistics for you.
Our Training Department loves breakfast, and we want you to join us on March 28 for our new Challenges with Shoring Design breakfast session in Burnaby!
Our presenter, Robert Bourdages from Stantec Consulting, will walk you through various earth shoring techniques for building construction including aspects of design and safety. The following shoring methods will be covered:
- Cantilevered walls
- Tied-back walls
- Braced excavations.
There will also be case studies presented relating to the risks of instability during excavation.
Plus, you’ll earn 1.5 Group A CPD Points from BC Housing!
Register for this or any of our upcoming courses at www.icba.ca/courses. While you’re there, subscribe to our biweekly training newsletter at www.icba.ca/trainingnewsletter, or learn about ICBA membership at www.icba.ca/become-a-member. ICBA members save on their registration fees, have access to our apprenticeship program, and more!
We look forward to seeing you in one of our upcoming courses!
Come have breakfast with us on March 18 in Burnaby! Are you up to date on the 2018 changes to the BC Building Code? The changes will impact contractors and businesses, so don’t miss this opportunity to hear about the new requirements from Don Pedde, the Senior Codes Administrator with the Building and Safety Standards Branch.
The presentation will touch on the new requirements for:
- energy efficiency standards (including the road ahead),
- mid-rise combustible construction,
- water efficiency of plumbing fixtures,
- radon data,
- sound transmission,
- and a glimpse of the future for tall wood buildings.
Plus, you’ll learn 1.5 group A CPD Points from BC Housing! And even better, ICBA members are able to attend free of charge!
Register for this or any of our other upcoming sessions at www.icba.ca/courses.
Chris and Jordan talk about ICBA taking the BC Government to court, the SNC-Lavalin/Jody Wilson Raybould story, the Burnaby byelection, Massey Tunnel, the BC Budget and if Winter is Here for the Canadian economy.
Some recent media clips of ICBA fighting for its members by taking PLAs to court:
And some other ICBA news notes:
- Former Dragon Brett Wilson breathed fire at the ICBA CEO Breakfast (Journal of Commerce)
- The BC Government wants the Broadway subway to be a PLA project. We’ll fight them every step of the way (Journal of Commerce)
- We’re worried about the drop in housing starts (Journal of Commerce)
- We’re the North American Trade Association of the Year (Georgia Straight)