Each week, ICBA’s Jordan Bateman reflects on what we’ve learned as we participate in ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program. This program is free for all ICBA members – check out icba.ca/wellness for details.
Anxiety is a familiar experience for me, but I had no idea there were different types of it, which made this week’s reading very interesting. It makes sense, of course: while we use a blanket term like “anxiety,” there will be different ways it’s experienced — and why it’s come on. Here are the five types of anxiety:
- Generalized – worrying excessively and uncontrollably about daily life events and activities
- Social – nervous or uncomfortable in social settings
- Panic disorder – unexpected and repeated panic attacks
- Post traumatic stress disorder – after being exposed to a major trauma
- Health – can result in somatic symptoms or conditions
We’re also learning how to support our co-workers when they are anxious. Learning about anxiety; being open and gentle when approaching it; involving colleagues in walks or activities; expressing empathy; and encouraging them to seek support. These are all things we can do to help make work a little better, and relieve anxiety in a colleague’s mind.
ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program is helping more than 50 companies, and thousands of construction professionals, better understand mental health. The program is free for ICBA members — see icba.ca/wellness.