Each week, ICBA’s Jordan Bateman reflects on what we’ve learned as we participate in ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program. This program is free for all ICBA members – check out icba.ca/wellness for details.
When one’s mental health falters, it’s easy to believe the lies that bounce around your brain. There’s often a shame that one feels, and a despair that you’re the only person experiencing this challenge. Our minds can isolate us right when we need help the most.
But guess what? You’re not alone. Look at these stats:
- This year, 1 in 5 Canadians will experience a mental illness
- At any given time, 1 in 10 Canadians have a mental illness
- By the time Canadians turn 40, 1 in 2 have – or had – a mental illness
- 1 in 10 Canadians will be affected by depression sometime in their lives
- 1 in 3 Canadians will be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder sometime in their lives
You’re not alone at all! Many of us have been right where you’re at, fighting through the stigma and shame we bring on ourselves. Talking about it and opening up is a vital step toward working your way back to mental wellness.
We’re in this together!
ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program is helping more than 75 companies and 7,000+ construction professionals better understand mental health. The program is free for ICBA members — see icba.ca/wellness.