As we reach the end of 2022, it’s only natural to think back on the year that was – the joys, the sorrows, the challenges, the wins, the relationships built and broken, all of it. ICBA Wellness recognizes this seasonal pattern of life and this month’s curriculum is on reflection.
Reflecting doesn’t have to be formal or rigid, but it does take intention. It rarely happens by accident.
I find my best reflection time in the car, driving home from work. This month, I’m trying to read a reflection question just before I leave, in order to launch a train of thought in my mind. Notejoy.com has some simple questions to use as a starting point:
- What is the most important goal I achieved this year?
- What was the most enjoyable part of my work (both professionally and at home)?
- In what area do I feel I’ve made my biggest improvements?
- What was the most challenging part of this year for me?
- Who were my most valuable relationships with?
- What was the best way I used my time this past year?
- What was my single biggest time waster in life this past year?
- What was the biggest surprise of the year?
- What’s the biggest mistake of the year, and the lesson learned as a result?
- What was the most fun I had this year?
- What was my best memory of the year?
- What are three words to describe the past year, and why?
- If I could travel back to the beginning of the year, what advice would I give myself?
Take a few minutes this December to think about your year – it may provide important, unexpected insight for 2023.
Each week, ICBA’s Jordan Bateman reflects on what we’ve learned as we participate in ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program. ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program is helping more than 80 companies and 8,000+ construction professionals better understand mental health. This program is free for all ICBA members – check out icba.ca/wellness for details.