Tough times for the anti-Site C crowd. Ten days ago, they jumped out in front of the BC Utilities Commission’s report (without even taking the time to read and digest its 300 pages) and claimed victory.
- They said the BCUC report shows the project should be shut down. WRONG: Site C is the slam-dunk best option if B.C. ends up needing any more power.
- They said a number of new tension cracks have appeared at Site C, which would cost billions to fix. WRONG: those “new cracks” were actually access roads.
- They said hundreds of people have been laid off at Site C and that only a few people actually work there now. WRONG: Employment at the dam went up in September.
- They said all those workers were from out of province or Temporary Foreign Workers. WRONG: 81% are from B.C., and only 13 are TFWs.
- They said First Nations oppose the project. WRONG: Six First Nations have benefits agreements with BC Hydro – and scrapping the project may actually violate their rights. Also, the courts have upheld the Hydro-FN process 14 times.
- They said killing Site C would be better for ratepayers. WRONG: Scrapping Site C would result in an immediate 10% BC Hydro rate hike.
- They said that under the BC Liberals, BC Hydro projects almost always ran over budget. WRONG: Even the NDP Energy Minister said the vast majority of Hydro capital projects were under budget – and when the Liberals left office in June, Site C was on time and on budget.
- They said we could magically get power through the Columbia River treaty. WRONG: Even the NDP Minister says that isn’t possible.
- They claimed B.C. won’t need that much more power. WRONG: The model they invented was hopelessly flawed – torqued to back their beliefs, but not rooted in reality.
- They claimed that Site C would flood farmland equivalent to feeding 1 million people. WRONG: This is just outright nonsense. It’s so inane, it’s mind-boggling. If it were true, the Peace would be feeding all of Canada today.
- They claimed that Site C is bad for the environment. WRONG: Actually, it’s the best way to address climate change.
- They say alternative energy can be done more cheaply. WRONG: Every country they list as an example for us pays several times more for their energy. And Ontario is a disaster – thanks to their push for alternative energy.
Every argument these professional protestors have lobbed against Site C has been debunked. Hopefully the NDP cabinet is smart enough to see through the anti-Site C lies.