Each week, ICBA’s Jordan Bateman reflects on what we’ve learned as we participate in ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program. This program is free for all ICBA members – check out icba.ca/wellness for details.
Today’s Wellness section dealt with 13 ways we can improve our team’s psychological safety, and it’s a very practical section, especially for workplace leaders:
- Psychological support. Reviewing our planned response to mental health concerns BEFORE they arise is important. It’s a matter of when, not if, these issues arise – so we better be prepared.
- Organizational culture. Our we open, honest and fair? We better be!
- Clear leadership and expectations.
- Civility and respect.
- Psychological competencies and requirements. Are our workers being put in a position to succeed? If not, what needs to change?
- Growth and development. How are we encouraging and supporting our staff?
- Recognition and reward. This is a bigger on than most leaders realize. Sometimes, we’re so focused on growth and the “next big thing”, that we fail to celebrate victories with our team, and employees’ important contributions.
- Involvement and influence. Are we getting the frontline perspective on our policies and plans?
- Workload management. This is huge during COVID-19: are we allocating enough time for specific tasks and responsibilities? Early evidence shows many workers feeling overwhelmed by the mental and time strain of life during the pandemic.
- Engagement. Do we feel connected to our work?
- Balance. Work, family, personal life – if our priorities are out of whack, mental health deteriorates.
- Psychological protection. It’s okay – and even welcome – to ask questions, report mistakes, and propose ideas.
- Protection of physical safety. This is HUGE in construction. Making sure everyone gets home safe, every day, is of paramount importance to our industry.
ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program is helping more than 50 companies, and thousands of construction professionals, better understand mental health. The program is free for ICBA members — see icba.ca/wellness.