Each week, ICBA’s Jordan Bateman reflects on what we’ve learned as we participate in ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program. This program is free for all ICBA members – check out icba.ca/wellness for details.
This month, ICBA Wellness is focused on reflection – considering what we’ve learned as a way to help us look ahead to 2022.
Let It Go – it’s not just the best Disney movie song of all time (PROVE ME WRONG, INTERNETZ), but it’s a simple, three-word motto I’m reflecting upon as we move from 2021 to 2022.
What have we been burdened with over the past year? What baggage – emotional and mental – are we packing around with us? COVID worries, economic stress, work stress, politics, relational challenges, financial issues, grudges: these and a thousand other things can pile up on us over the year.
Over on ZenHabits.net, I found a great post about letting go of what is holding us back:
- Notice what you’re holding onto, and why. What are you getting out of hanging on to this? What “benefit” is it giving you?
- Realize that you don’t need that benefit. You don’t need it anymore!
- Let yourself feel the pain, anger, frustration, grief. It’s okay to feel deeply.
- Accept things the way they are. This will help you relax and begin to move on.
- Feel some gratitude for them being the way they are. Guaranteed, there is something you can be thankful for, in every situation – it’s just a matter of finding it.
- Relax into the reality of things.
Or as Queen Elsa put it:
It’s funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can’t get to me at all
It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
Let it go, let it go
ICBA’s Workplace Wellness Program is helping more than 50 companies, and thousands of construction professionals, better understand mental health. The program is free for ICBA members — see icba.ca/wellness.